Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Tai Chi (Chai Tea?)

Yay! The day where we get into the script and start blocking scenes!

We started with a music rehearsal today. We worked on the opening number, which has some really cool sections with overlapping lines. Our direction was to sound mysterious, but crisp and light in order to make these parts come across. We sound great! So much talent in this cast - I love being surrounded by these voices!

Next we went to the 'backyard' of the Alliance, which is pretty much the backstage area - a huge warehouse-looking space where cool stuff like chandeliers and huge set pieces hang from the ceiling. I thought we were actually going to a backyard with grass. Teehee. Not the case! I can't really say why we went to this space - it's related to the surprise element that is going to blow people away! ;) But I can say that we worked on some choreography for a bit (and I got to try on something that was way cool!). And the choreographer is a very Zen person - turns out he teaches yoga. I was personally excited to learn this since it's been 2 years that I've been practicing yoga (which reminds me - I gots to roll out my mat after I'm finished here!).

We finished the day back in the regular rehearsal hall so that we could have the full-length wall mirrors to use if we needed. And we actually did need them at one point - there are some very slow, controlled and tai chi-inspired movements in the choreography and it's not like usual dance moves where the steps fall exactly with the music beats. A group of us have to do them fluidly but precisely and together. Quite a challenge. But I love it nonetheless! It reminds me of my Waigong (grandpa), who I'm sure is smiling down on me. He used to do tai chi and I have great memories of watching him do it in my parents' living room when he came from China to visit. How I wish he was still alive to see this show, but I'm going to do my best to make him proud! He would simply love this production - I just know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment